Alternation is an international journal which publishes interdisciplinary contributions in the fields of the Arts and Humanities in Southern Africa.
Prior to publication, each publication in Alternation is refereed by at least two independent peer reviewers.
- Alternation is indexed in The Index to South African Periodicals (ISAP) and reviewed in The African Book Publishing Record (ABPR).
- Alternation is published every semester.
- Alternation was accredited in 1996.
ISSN Online: 2519-5476
Editor in Chief: Johannes A Srnit (UKZN)
Associate Editor: Judith Lütge Coullie (UKZN)
Editorial Assistant: Beverly Vencatsamy (UKZN)
Catherine Addison (UZ); Denzil Chetty (Unisa); Brian Fulela (UKZN); Mandy Goedhals (UKZN); Rembrandt Klopper (UKZN); Jabulani Mkhize (UFH); Shane Moran (UFH); Priya Narismulu (UKZN); Nobuhle Ndimande-Hlongwa (UKZN); Thengani Ngwenya (DUT); Corinne Sandwith (UKZN); Mpilo Pearl Sithole (UKZN); Graham Stewart (DUT).
Richard Bailey (UKZN); Marianne de Jong (Unisa); Betty Govinden (UKZN); Dorian Haarhoff (Namibia); Sabry Hafez (SOAS); Dan Izebaye (Ibadan); RK Jain (Jawaharlal Nehru); Robbie Kriger (NRF); Isaac Mathumba (Unisa); Godfrey Meintjes (Rhodes); Fatima Mendonca (Eduardo Mondlane); Sikhumbuzo Mngadi (RU); Louis Molamu (Botswana); Katwiwa Mule (Pennsylvania); Isidore Okpewho (Binghamton); Andries Oliphant (Unisa); Julie Pridmore (Unisa); Rory Ryan (UJoh); Michael Samuel (UKZN); Maje Serudu (Unisa); Marilet Sienaert (UCT); Liz Thompson (UZ); Cleopas Thosago (UNIN); Helize van Vuuren (NMMU); Hildegard van Zweel (Unisa).
National and International Advisory Board
Carole Boyce-Davies (Florida Int.); Ampie Coetzee (UWC); Simon During (Melbourne); Elmar Lehmann (Essen); Douglas Killam (Guelph); David Lewis-Williams (Wits); Bernth Lindfors (Austin); Jeff Opland (Charterhouse); Graham Pechey (Hertfordshire); Erhard Reckwitz (Essen)
General Journal Information
- Alternation does not have article submission charges.
- Alternation does have page fee charges of R 250 per page, and sent to lead authors once the article has been set.
- Alternation’s waver policy, in that it publishes articles by authors from developing countries, that have passed the peer review process successfully, free of charge.
- Alternation follows the digital archiving policy of the University of KwaZulu-Natal .
- Alternation allows software/ spiders to automatically crawl the journal content.
- Alternation does not provide article level metadata.
- Alternation does not provide article download statistics.
- All Alternation articles are screened for plagiarism, through Turnitin.
- Alternation Open Access Statement
Alternation: Interdisciplinary Journal for the Study of the Arts and Humanities in Southern Africa is an Open Access journal which means that all content is freely available without charge to the user or his/ her institution. Users are allowed to read, download, copy, distribute, print, search, or link to the full texts of the articles, or use them for any other lawful purpose, without asking prior permission from the publisher or the author. This is in accordance with the BOAI definition of Open Access.
- Copyright (©) belongs to Alternation. If an author or publisher wishes to use or publish an article that appeared in Alternation in part or in full, permission must be requested from the editor-in-chief at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Prof J.A. Smit, CSSALL, Private Bag X01, Scottsville, 3209, Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
- Telephone: +27 33 260 5540/ 6293;
- Facsimile: +27 31 260 5858;
- Email: email@example.com